Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tomatocart: ECommerce Devs and Dishonest Incompetence

I would rather not make such a post, but in this particular case, a vendor has forced my hand.

Recently I submitted two vulnerabilities to the developers of tomatocart, CVE-2014-3978 and CVE-2014-3830 (SQL injection and XSS). When I submitted these vulnerabilities, I requested that they send me a patch for pre-approval because of the complexity of the exploits, to which they agreed.

They responded with an ineffective patch via email, which I informed them was ineffective and I even had the software architect at the company I work for write them a detailed report on the matter. While they had claimed that they would let us pre-approve the patch, they published it against our advice and disregarded all future emails that their patch was ineffective, even the multi-page report the architect wrote.

If you read the vulnerability details for the SQL injection, you will clearly see that no amount of escaping single quotes will fix this as there are no single quotes in the exploit at all.

The XSS vulnerability is also not properly patched by JYin's patch. Because of unsafe string replacement, it is possible to force a tag through the sanitize function like so:

echo sanitize("<s<html>cr</html>ipt>");

This will result in a script tag being added anyway.

A pull request was sent to the tomatocart github, which they have ignored thus far.

Jack Yin (tomatocart developer) has yet to implement proper security practice and has disregarded our emails throughout this process as if he knew better when he did not. As such, he has demonstrated such a lack of competence that we must recommend that all TomatoCart users immediately migrate to another ecommerce solution, as the developers are not competent or committed to security.

I never enjoy writing this type of post; but to protect the consumer from lackadaisical vendors, it has to be done. Sorry, Jack.

1 comment: